Wednesday, January 21, 2015

War vs Peace

Last night my husband and I saw “American Sniper”; a Clint Eastwood film about American Navy Seal, Chris Kyle. He is reported to have the most “confirmed kills” of any sniper in American history and saved a lot of lives. It’s an emotional movie that made me hate war. I am generally very conservative, but war I cannot tolerate. It destroys http://www.searchquotes.com/sof/images/picture_quotes/45163_20121019_032030_An-eye-for-an-eye-only-ends-up-making-the-whole-world-blind_1.jpgour humanity and it’s not something you can easily recover from mentally.

Anyway, in the movie the group of SEALs get ambushed and retreat back to base. They sniper that keeps taking people out was part of it. One of the SEALS says “An eye for an eye” in reference to a fellow SEAL that was shot in the eye I believe. That left me to think about the bible where it said “an eye for an eye”.  Yet then my mind rolled over to what Jesus said in the New Testament. He didn’t preach vengeance, but absolutely said to turn the other cheek. So if you are attacked you should forfeit. I believe that under Mosaic law justice could only be settled by tit-for-tat but then with the birth of Christ and then His offering of the atonement changed the way https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZDSl4RVtkXLeVQFkyKUvoyAn0N20FWOi8yW7WDjV8G9HAwG34vgjustice would be settled. The atonement allows for eternal justice and mortal mercy.

Yet then, quickly from these thoughts my mind rolled to the Book of Mormon. In that book we learn of Captain Moroni going to battle carrying the banner of liberty. Here he teaches his people to fight and defend their families. So then, at what point do things change from surrender to defense? What is the deciding factor?


I did think last night about it being an individual act of pride to strike back after being hit. And since is a pretty common sin. However being willing to sacrifice yourself is noble and charitable and therefore might be permissible by God.

Then this morning I realized that Captain Moroni raised the title of Liberty in the century before Christ. So Christ actually told us to be kind and turn the other cheek after Captain Moroni raised the Title of Liberty. Therefore, is it possible that we should all live as Quakers and not fight. I don’t know if the answer is to defend ourselves or to let things go. I’d love to hear your opinions because I honestly don’t know the answer. What do you think?

No comments: