Thursday, July 8, 2010

Parking

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about how much I hate parking. It often appears that I don't like driving or that I'm not good at it. However, that's not true. It's what happens after I drive somewhere that freaks me out. Once I get to my location I don't just get to stop and get out. I have to park the car. That is where I get scared. Seriously, you're close to other cars and it's a delicate dance. I just don't like any parking and parallel parking is the worst. I might hate parking, but I can do it without damaging anyone's stuff. It has put me in tears before though.
All that being said, living in LA is the worst place to be if you hate parking. There is never any parking anywhere you want to be it seems. Every once in awhile we'll get really lucky and find a nice close spot. I don't like parking garages either. They kind of freak me out, but some of them are okay. I hate having to pay to park too. I just miss the wide open spaces of parking lots. They're nice and open ready for me to park in.

The one thing that makes parking better for me is Eric. He's a great parker (I blame it on his maleness and good spatial reasoning skill), which is why I usually make him drive wherever we go. Even if I drive he usually parks if it's a tight spot. He's good at it and pretty good about calming my fears with parking too.

Overall though, I still hate parking, but I am getting better at with all the experience LA has provided for me.

4 comments:

Kathryn M said...

Well I have to deal with Parking in Settle as well. That is why I usually do one of the following: Make Tyler drive and park, ride the bus, ride my bike, carpool and let the other person drive, or stay home. Yes I not gone places before just because the parking idea freaks me out!

Tiffany said...

Being a pedestrian in LA is terrifying. It's not a pedestrian or bike friendly city. So lame! I have stayed home on many occassions just because I wasn't sure about the parking situation. However, Eric and I have worked it out though that I get the garage clicker on nights when I have to go out to a meeting or something so I can just park in the garage before I have to leave or if he's going to a meeting to be out late then I get the clicker so I'm not trapped. It's worked out okay so far, but I want to live at an apartment with better parking. One day it will happen, just not yet.

Rachael Katherine said...

I am 18 years old and don't have my license because while I can drive, I cannot park, for the life of me.

I understand your pain, and it really can be a paralyzing fear.

Tiffany said...

Good luck Rachel! Just keep on practicing how to park and you'll eventually get it. I'm still not great at parallel parking, but I can usually get it done if I have to. It just takes practice and patience with yourself. Good luck!