Thursday, June 17, 2010

Satan and Self-esteem

Something dawned on me last night. For a long time now I've been in pursuit of finding the root of low self-esteem across the board in women. I want to know the cause and how to fix it. It might not seem like a huge deal, but our self-esteem is tied directly into the life decisions we make; good or bad. Women have so much more value and strength than they can even imagine and yet it's diminished by feelings of inadequacy and weakness.

In talking to the other members of the Relief Society presidency in my ward. (These are two amazing women who have lived amazing lives and I learn so much from them all the time.) We were talking about the influence of Satan in our lives. We talked about how he knows our weaknesses and how to keep us off the path of doing what is good and righteous. He doesn't even have to make us sin to not be great, just distract us from doing what is good. As I kept thinking about it I thought about his influence in the lives of women.

I can't help but think he is not afraid of the power women can have to influence great change for the better. He must know something amazing about us that we don't know yet. He can distract us with low self-esteem (various ways, we all know it) and thoughts of how to be better. He can make us feel unworthy to accomplish great things even when it's totally within our right and capacity to do.

Satan has fooled us into thinking he only causes us to commit sin so we ignore his other influences in our life, but he is ever present in some way or another. Be strong and know you're worthwhile. God loves each of us. He especially loves his daughters. Don't forget that!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It's true, he works really hard on you women-folk because he knows how effective you are at combating his lame attempts at corruption.

I'm lucky to have had a mother with the strength to beat the adversary off with a stick, and a amazingly wonderful wife who is able to do the same thing.

You are really amazing Tiffany, and you're self-esteem should know that.

Tiffany said...

Eric, you are so sweet! Thank you for your comment and most especially for your support of me. I think you're wonderful and I love you!

debbie said...

Thanks, Tiffany! Eric, I like the image of "beating Satan off with a stick"! ha ha! So how did your mom do it?

Six said...

I'm sure the devil made you accidentally make that first sentence of the 4th paragraph a double negative.

I kid, but more seriously, it's dangerous to blame problems on a magic being. If you really believe the devil is causing problems, then what is your motivation for finding the real cause? And without knowing the real cause your odds of improving the situation must be stunted.

If you want to use the word "devil" to mean general badness, that's fine, but please be wary of over simplification and cognitive laziness.

Six said...

Ooo... he strikes again. I mean 3rd paragraph. :D Hah! That's what I get for being petty.

Tiffany said...

Six,

As it turns out I intended the double negative. It's just not written well, but I never claimed to be a great writer.

I'm offended by your accusations of cognitive laziness. I believe in a God and if there is a God then there must be a devil. And from my beliefs he's not a lazy concept.

He doesn't force us to do anything, but distracts and redirects us. By choosing to ignore the possibility of his influence it only allows more of his influence in your life.

Of course there can be other causes of the insecurity women feel and if it's severe enough they should search for it and make it better. However, the devil will use any and all weaknesses we mortals have to frustrate Gods plan.

Thank your for commenting!