Thursday, May 21, 2009

Integrity

I've been thinking a lot lately about integrity. There are two things on my mind:

1. I learned what integrity was long before I knew what the word was. My father is a man with great integrity and I believe that's how I learned it. He was never dishonest for his own gain. He didn't cheat people. He is honest in his work. And I can say that it hasn't always been easy. Because of his integrity he doesn't cheat anyone out of a fair wage even if he can barely afford it or has to go without, he might not get the promotions or credit he deserves at work, and people may not realize how valuable he is. However, he has extraordinary value and character. He is very loyal due in part to his integrity. I'll just share one experience that has always reminded me to have integrity in my life. When I was 17 I was trying to find a car to buy. After looking for awhile I found the cutest car. It was perfect and I wasn't too short in it either. The cost ended at $700. The lady even said that she'd write down the sale price as lower so I could pay less in sales tax when we registered it. I thought it was a great deal, but my Dad in his quiet way declined that offer because it simply wasn't honest. I didn't mind since I had enough money saved. That happened 7 years ago now, but it means everything to me. To know that principle was more important than my self interest taught me so much.

2. At work there is a project they're doing with another company and the other company has completely lacked integrity out of greed. They want the business and the money, but they don't necessarily have the know how. Every time it has been brought up that they don't know what they're doing or what not they just try to hide from it or deny it. It has now reached a point where some individuals could be fired or required to reimburse us. It's really bad. In this economy can people really afford to lose their company money or their own jobs? I don't think so. A little bit of integrity in knowing your own limitations was all that was required. People are much more likely to forgive a humble and repentant person than a greedy, arrogant SOB.

So, let's all take a clue from my father. Let's leave the self-interest to lobbyists and do everyone a favor and behave with a little more integrity.

1 comment:

pam said...

i learned integrity from my dad as well. great post!