Friday, April 18, 2008

Telling It Like It Is

I often worry that I'm offending everyone with my inability to censor what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes it is completely involuntary (literally some of the things I say surprise me because I didn't know I was going to say them) and other times I just say it because I mean it. I don't consider myself a mean person, but I know what I want and need, so I'll do what is necessary to get it. Basically, I am just honest; I say what I think and feel at all times.

This character trait/flaw/quirk has caused me great anguish over the years. It's hard for me because so many people don't like me because of it or they think that I'm mean. My heart is pure though and I really do have so much love for others. People have often seen the harsh side of who I am, rather than getting to know the loving person that I can be. In high school I even tried to change who I was so that I could fit in better with my own friends. That lasted only a couple weeks before I just got too exhausted and didn't like who I was. No matter how much I've tried to be "better" or change this "flaw" it won't go away. It is who I am at the core. I don't intend to hurt others, but it happens and I'm very good at apologizing now.

Although, one thing about being older now is that I don't have to apologize for who I am. I have found this ability to be beneficial and stress-reducing. I don't need to lie to people to make them happy. People know what to expect from me. I am honest with people when I'm upset about something. I don't hold grudges because I deal with problems promptly.

I have found that a lot of people go through life suffering from poor relationships because they can't just be honest with those in their lives. They choose to be fake and "never" angry with other people. As harsh as it may seem to just be honest at all times, it really can bless your life by empowering you to make the changes necessary in your relationships.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sam, if you read this, do you really think I'm as awful as those examples of overbearing people? Do you really think that I don't work well with other people? I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from on this. Thanks!

Tiffany said...

Sam, it's all good! The blog post is a little bit disguised to protect the inoccent. I appreciated your post and am relieved that it's not directed right at me. Anyway, I think you get the point, I'm just still defensive about how others view me. That's part of what I'm learning to accept. Thanks for your honesty!