Friday, April 16, 2010

Someone else is spending my money!

Okay, so I'm a bit frustrated right now. I'm frustrated with all the excess money the government is spending without thought to the consequences. Well, if they are considering the consequences then they don't care about them. I just wish we could stop the spending instead of increasing it.

Currently my husband and I are working on paying down our debts and being smarter about the money we do have. We are doing lots of research, choosing our moves wisely and making plans for our future. It is not easy, but it must be done. There is no way we could pay down our debt if we simply continued to use our credit cards. Some days I have the urge to use them, but I know that is not what we agreed to; it's not in our financial plan. Yet, our government (the elected officials in power) continue to spend money that doesn't exist as though somehow that will make things better. It can only get worse if we keep increasing our debt. Eventually we will get to a point where we can't even afford to pay off our debts because they are just too excessive.
Why do they keep enacting new programs or prolonging old ones at the expense of the tax payer? Somehow it's okay to raise my taxes for those who are unwilling to work. Why should anyone work when they government is paying them enough not to work. It's completely idiotic. Government run programs are what I like to refer to as "poverty programs". I call them this because people can't get out of them. Often they can't receive assistance if they make over a certain dollar amount. I know t his because there was a time in my life that I was using Social Security Disability. I'm actually ashamed to admit that, but I was disabled at the time. I'm actually not opposed to the idea of disability services because those are so often people who cannot do for themselves. When I graduated college and began to work I could only work part time to maintain my benefits which included medicare (health insurance). But what is worse was the restrictions on how much money I could make or even save to maintain certain benefits. This is why I called it a poverty program. How can we ever expect people to get a leg up when we don't let them save money or invest what they do have?

Now there is the whole issue of extending unemployment benefits. That sounds like a good idea to help prevent more foreclosures and the like, but it doesn't really help people progress. They have an easy time living on what the government will give them. I'd love a 2 year paid vacation, but then I am just a burden on society. It's not cool. There is no financial education to help people get out of these types of situations.

I think what angers me the most is that by enacting and prolonging these types of programs the government is essentially buying votes. They are buying votes with tax payer money. I am a tax payer. They are buying votes with my money! Ugh! I'm just so sick of it!

5 comments:

Freddy said...

Good on you and your husband for taking your own action to rein in your debts, I too see this as the only way the nations can return to a semblance of balance.
Starting with ourselves first, we not only reversing the problem but also providing a positive example of what to do.
Best wishes, Fred from Queensland Australia.

Kyle said...

Ditto

jess said...

I get frustrated with the government's taxation spree that seems to be going on as well. I don't like paying for anything more than roads, defense and education. Everything else in my opinion, is excessive.
At the same time, unfortunately, there would be a lot of people in true poverty, without the government's help. They may be kept in a low poverty setting, but at the very least, they have shelter, food, and access to medical care. Is it a good system? No. It's terrible. But as a Christian, where do you draw the line? If you took those people off of welfare, many of them wouldn't be capable of finding or keeping jobs. My in-laws are like that-- they work the system, and sadly, I don't think they'll ever not be on the government's paycheck.
But something needs to change-- because there are lots of people who could be working, that aren't.

Tiffany said...

Jess you bring up a good point about drawing the line as a Christian. I think about that a lot. I suppose I say as a Christian it's our responsibility to take care of the less fortunate. It should not be compulsory to provide for them. It's about humility on all our parts. We have to be humble enough to see how much we can give and serve others who are less fortunate. Those in need should be humble enough to ask for what they need and not behind a glass window or anonymity. The system is broken, that's why it doesn't work.

Stella said...

Yes the system is broken and the government is not fixing it. They are just putting a bandaid on a crying child. You are right in they are buying votes. It wasn't too long ago that people were suppose to be limited to 5 years on welfare programs and then they would be off the government rolls. I have not heard of anyone being pushed out of the system for going over 5 years. There is always a way to extend or get onto another program. I think this was just to appease some of us that the government wouldn't let people just ride for free forever, but it is happening. What is the answer? We need all new government officials and get to the nut and bolts of what programs are needed and just provide the basic necessities. I see people on food stamps eat better than me. Why work if the government will give it to you. We need better representatives in Washington D.C.