Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I know what it is to be childlike

Growing up in the church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) there was always talk about being childlike. I’m not sure where the reference is, but there is scripture telling us to be childlike. This was not to be interpreted as childish. It was not a command to never grow up and be irresponsible. Frankly, in my youth I had no clue what it meant. All I wanted then was to grow up and be an adult. I was growing closer and closer to the time where I would shred my childlike qualities and just be mature and responsible all the time.

As I grew older I began to realize some qualities of a child that would help me be a better person. Being able to listen and obey would help make me a better employee. Being imaginative would help me think outside the box in my problem solving. Being playful would help me enjoy life even when it was hard.

Still, it wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I really learned what was so powerful and great about being childlike. In LA if you’re child like at all you’re looked down on as being naïve and insignificant. They’d rather be a grown up and do reckless things. For them drinking, partying and one night stands are grown up and a natural part of life. Children don’t need to drink to be free or enjoy time with their friends. No substance is necessary for that; they’re just born to be honest and have a good time. They’re not yet afraid to be themselves. Kids are always at a party. Their lives are a reason to celebrate and there is no need for a special occasion. They are free to meet new people when ever the occasion arises. They will talk to whoever they can whenever they can. There are no social mores for them. They sure as heck don’t have one night stands and not just because they don’t have sex. If they “hook-up” with a new friend at the grocery store those two are friends every time they see each other in the future. They want to spend time together in the future. If it was a good time once then it will be a good time again.

The most childlike quality you can have in my opinion is honesty. They are honest with who they are, what they want and what they like. They don’t hide things from us like we do from each other.

The more time I spend at Disneyland the more time I realize just how much I am childlike. The people I work with despise Disneyland. One guy even said he’d rather go to a strip club (gross!) than to Disneyland. The park fulfills my creativity, my dreams and the place I can just be happy to be alive again.

If not through Disneyland we can all strive to be more childlike in our lives. We can reach out to others and try to be more honest with others.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, first of all, I liked how you were discussing being childlike and I agree - you need to have that sort of innocence and humility about you. I think it works in more ways than you listed, but you listed some really important ones.

Second - even though I know you, I didn't expect this to turn into a post about Disneyland. Totally caught me off-guard.

Third - I don't think you're naive, but don't lose that child-like innocence that you have.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for the comment babe! I think the reason I mentioned Disneyland because it was my love for Disneyland that helped me to see that I am child like. Of course there are tons more ways to be child like than what I mentioned, but I didn't want the post to be too long.

Renae said...

So does being child like mean it's ok for me to be grumpy and cranky when I'm tired? That's what Hailey does. :)

Seriously though, I bet LA would be an eye opener. Especially after living in Happy Valley.

Tiffany said...

Renae, being grumpy and cranky probably falls under childish, but I'm not sure I've grown out of that yet.

LA is a huge eye-opener. It is filled with way more temptations and sins of the world that I could have ever imagined. It's so good though too. I'm glad to be able to experience it.

ALITA said...

I think your point is very interesting and true, but I also think the mask's we use are out of fear, and so then people start to shield their hearts so we dont receive pain, making look the opppsite side of humble and playful childlike spirits, and there's no way to learn to stay honest if we don't start believing and accepting ourselves