Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Naked at the airport?

Okay, so by now we all know that a guy tried to blow up a plane going to Detroit. Now there are even more security checks happening. That is just going to cause longer lines and more irritation to travellers. I don't really care because I'd rather be safe. I was thinking about it the other day though and I remembered hearing about these advanced X-ray machines that could basically see through clothing. And I then wondered why we don't have these in all the airports to keep us safe. Here is an article answering that question. Apparently people don't like it because it's too invasive and embarrasing. They don't want someone to see the shape of their body. A member of the ACLU (an organization that I don't think too kindly about) said that it's like performing a "virtual strip search". Well, wouldn't you rather it be virtual than real? Seriously, I don't like my body either, but I'd rather do that and make sure everyone else on my plane is going to be safe rather than worry about the x-ray operator seeing my roles of fat. Seriously, are we so vain that even our own lives aren't as valuable as looking good and not being embarrassed?

2 comments:

debbie said...

I agree that it's not a big deal. I would just think of it as similar to a doctor's visit where the person is just doing their job. My understanding is that you would be behind some kind of curtain so it's not like all the other passengers would be able to see. Definitely worth it to help us be safer.

Tiffany said...

Exactly Debbie. And frankly it's not like it's totally nude or anything. I would rather be safe and humble than dead and prideful.